Saturday, January 1, 2011

Art, Love, Peace and Justice...



Kahlo
Agar
(Left to Right)
I am now beginning to become more open to female artists and the feminine ethos. I was surprised with the exposure of Eileen Agar, how much a commonality there was with her approach to creativity and mine thus far. She is considered to be a 'surrealist' artist but there were many women along side of her, one of the most famous is Mexican born Freda Kahlo who married the Mexican muralist, Diego Rivera. Kahlo, whose works does contrast mine as I am not so political, once stated that she 'does not paint her dreams, she paints her own reality'. I am not locked into anything but my work is not about the realism we see but of another reality I believe in. There are many more great female artists through the decades but Kahlo deserves honorable mention. These are themes that early women twentieth century artists have explored in great depth and I believe a 'right of passage' to women understanding more fully within the creative process, their humanity. It is impossible to included all of them as there are so many. I shall try to cover the ones that I have found some connection with so far, although that is apt to change as I begin to grow as an artist. I see myself as an 'embryo' just beginning to be 'born' within this process. It is an important step in its growth and development to understanding my self as a woman artist that places me within the wider universe....

No comments: