Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Support Groups...

I am not an activist and being gay was something I avoided trying to understand all my life but I am aware of many people within in the community that have provided support to people struggling with this issue. Margo Bethel and Helen Klonaris (two very strong gay women)have been gay advocates within this community for a long time. They are both my friends as we are all artists although our paths have led us in different directions. They are two very good people to get in contact with if you feel you need some support - both gay men and women. The gay community as a political arm has been very strong in continuing to press this agenda for awareness here and some do very important work in creating education within the gay and straight community. I am subborn and believed I could do it on my own but if you do need that additional help there are people here who can guide you along on that path. I recommend it because it is difficualt here with our attitudes toward the issues whether black or white or rich or poor. Each struggle is difficult as some feel they cannot go to their family for that support. You are right to be who you are so continue 'to be' with love...

No comments: