Friday, January 28, 2011

'Voice' and the art of loving...

A thought came to me last evening as I drove home from my usual coffee break after work, how is it that there are people who feel they are entitled to life more than others, and that they are the only ones to claim an identity within it? The Bahamas is very bad for this.I say this with regards to creativity and finding one's spiritual center to exist within. Who has that right to deny this God given right. I definitely know I do not have it. I believe it is why we have all been put here - to know ourselves. Generally in most cases it is as if one has to fit into some mold that another has made irrespective if that shell fits or not. Ultimately it fills one with a sense of fear and feelings of self hatred.This has never worked for me as I have always felt displaced where ever I have been including the Bahamas. I have stopped trying to 'squeeze' my reality to conform to some sort of Caribbean sensibility as I don't feel that I quite belong there either without feeling like a second class citizen. Does this mean I should take a back seat to my own life and existance with my 'voice' denied because it does not fit a consensus of what another should be by some other? Who does this and really how can they stop another's right 'to be'? It is about control and power and really it is done as much by our 'ecclectic' elites as well as a cultural mob who insits that everything must be done their way.I feel I can stand on my own as an artist and have done the work yet I meet up with these people again and again. I have had to declare myself away from them and find my own space to create within. I have chosen these blog entries and the work I do out on the wharf to express within. I believe I bring a fresh outlook from my perspective and if it wasn't for these two creative outlets I would have nothing here. I have now declared my independence away from it all and will start sending my work out to private publishers as well as selling them down at the wharf. It is a bigger pool to operate from but I feel more satisfied in attempting to enter this arena instead of these other realities. I love telling stories and writing poems.- I like doing them better when they are not about me I switch between the two. I need to create irrespective of our cultural dicotomy and stupid prejudices. People hate you here if they don't like your family or your political persuation and that is how deep we go to restrict another's creativity and right to self expression. It is an ugly war and nasty things are said about many people. I try not to engage in it but it takes real stamina to resist. It requires rising above and sometimes looking and reaching outside to go around it. I believe this happens to many here and it is extremely unprogressive. It is important for one to develop 'voice' as a human being whomever you may be and I uge you to abandon, if you have not already done, these shallow understandings if they do not relate to you. I prefer to let it all wash through so as to start afresh. I believe I have a spiritual gift.Freedom means just that - being free and one should never be afraid of expressing who one is even if that right is denied. Creativity requires the imagination and anything that limits that or you is oppression. It is done intensionally here to fit into an order of control and power structure. One may be criticised but that is the price you pay when you live in a world of views but you have a right to defend it and especially to be it. If there is any consolation and my opinion matter for a moment, I love people for being themselves. Power, peace and love, continue to be...

No comments: