Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Naked...

I am not hiding anymore and there is nothing more for me to fear, except perhaps physical harm. I have become 'naked'.Those who still exist in it have no right to judge me, I believe some do. There should be no competition when it comes down to peoples honesty about themselves. I think I bring up many issues that people feel strongly about which is why I have not received too much criticism so far. I believe every body's right should be respected in a Democracy. I can love my enemy or at least tolerate them. I try to love along the way sincerely and so others receive me in that spirit irrespective of how they feel about the issue. I dared to say 'I am' and am 'being'. Actually my private life is sacrosanct to me. I have often felt invaded at a point of it but this was about being happy with myself without hiding behind allusions. It is easy to do this as an artist. Once realizing my falseness, I had to be forthright. I thought I may have sacrificed that part of me which is essential to my identity for the greater good but look what it has become and really we should have progressed farther than this not to understand that gay people are just normal individuals who struggle in their daily lives just like anyone else. Many paths become distorted along the way because there are still some who feel they need to hide but I do not judge them because the fear here is very real. I believe they have become very angry as a result. I have no need for anger in my life anymore.I thought I would take my chances and really I have faith in the majority of Bahamians who have always been more tolerant than they have been given credit for. I get offended for them now when I know that so many have accepted me. Many still don't but I don't feel I need those kinds of people around in my life anyway. They are the unprogressives. I guess people are still just finding out so I am only half way out the revolving door. It is sad but we are often guided by how others perceive us and really what is their right over another. The people in my life who accept me for who I am are now 'community' and family. They are a strange hotch potch and really they are not predominately from the gay community- some are, many more are not. Most if not all are black to kill that stereotype I had but I know quite a few who are not. It was difficult for me during this time to feel accepted. Some just walked on by or looked straight through me as if I had leprosy. Remember this is still just a thought that they are judging -ridiculous isn't it? It is how 'they' keep people in fear. I took a chance and found those who really do love. That is good enough for me. Now to lose 20lbs...peace to you on your journey...

No comments: