Friday, January 21, 2011

Modernity with line and space...

I have reduced my paintings to simple line in space. I do use 'tourist' themes to make my dollar but this is a formal study in the liberation of line in space which brings greater freedoms. They have become so simple that it may not appear that is what I am doing. I believe that within a single concentrated line of light comes the most condensed colours in the spectrum. I have come to realize that line is merely energy and light which should reflect this prism. I have not gotten around to examining this yet but I intened to begin this study fully without reservation. It is what I have aspired to in my creative philosphies which has taken on spiritual and physical dimensions. This is not religion but an essence. The term 'essense' when translated means 'to be'. My journey to include myself in relation to a greater universe has expanded to reach this creative revelation. Sadly, I do think of this more than anything else. I am an artist. Creating a line in space for me is an act of liberation of body, spirit and mind. It is not a solid entity but made of energy and light. This is the transformation I am discovering within my understanding of the process. I kept hoping that my art would become more abstract as I found these newer understandings but the reverse has happened. I have become more minimalistic and a reductionist of form. My art really lacked the exploration of color but I believe now that line is color as it is light and energy. I am beginning to remove the personal and historical narrative of line and story to create a greater freedom. This takes real courage...'to be'.... If I were to do a proper painting for me now it may only consist of just line and space. This was a lesson of the great Modernists. I will be braver now to take this a stage further to explore these other realities. This is difficult where I work so I might just have to go into a studio now in a more intimate environment and space. Hard to sell this on the wharf but I may just try...peace and love...

No comments: