Sunday, January 9, 2011

'Street Rap'

I woke up this morning feeling haunted because I am old enough to see what is happening to our country. Like they say what goes around comes around and there is nothing new under the Sun. So I shall share some of my knowledge of some of my experiences for a generation old and young. Bahamians are wise so I believe there will be many who may appreciate this. I will do this because I have spent most of my life as a community worker and really I deserve to rest and to feel my body again. I have sacrificed it for the greater good and really there is a younger generation to take over the helm of leadership in this country and should because it is their birth right to do so. I do not know if anyone reads my blog but I am hoping that some might because I think I am saying relevant things that are about the truth of what is going on. I shall call this entry 'street Rap'. Excuse me if I slip into the vernacular and speak politically for a moment about our development before I retire to develop myself further. The great thing about it , is that I can without any of these things that we call culture but has become nothing more than pure exploitation of a people. It is not my culture and I do not claim it as mine as at the end of the day the only thing that is given to these people are block parties, cocaine, alcohol and guns while the people providing it end up with million dollar bank accounts. It is the intentional destabilization of a people that ensures that any new economic deal coming through meets the instability of a corrupt land. There are both black and white people in the Bahmas who are willing to be instrumental in this.They send in their surrogates who know our language/culture and who play on petty prejudices to divide and conquer. Gay people are lost as well in the labyrinth of abuse of alcohol and drugs and are also falling through the cracks. There is meant to be deliberate confusion which is just smoke and mirrors while other plans are enacted around the people.It is an old geo -political 'trick' that the people keep falling for in the Caribbean and else where because- yeah -we love to dance but we also love to use our minds to develop and plan the course of our own destiny. yeah- we enjoy a drink( i used to) but sometimes we want a clearer mind to deal with our problems rather than through the escape of alcohol and drugs. We read and write and are creative spirits that see far enough into the universe that is expanding with our new discoveries- we help to create them. I like to beat the drum and am a great one probably the best African drummer you will ever meet but maybe I wish to become a great artist or an astronaut to fly to the moon- yes, we do have Bahamians working at NASSA. The development of our language has become one of a dis empowered people and the only thing many can say to express themselves is 'fuck! because it is happening to them. There needs to be a proper comprehensive cultural organization that deals with a diverse peoples , one that is reflective of our overall make up in the Bahams not just the ones with the money because it does appear that the 'ruling' class keeps re arranging economics so that they are the ones who control it. AIDS is being spread rapidly through our community now because of the cocaine trade. People are selling their bodies for it and are sleeping with both men and women. America is supposed to be helping us with this drug problem that we have in the Bahamas but they are not. How can they be when their embassy in surrounded by the largest drug infested areas in the Bahamas and where drug deals are happening day and night. Crooked policeman who are known to be involved in drug dealing and putting guns on the street should be removed and not just moved around on the force. There are far too many illegal aliens and people from all over the world it seems who are involved within this corruption we have here. How is it that this problem cannot be solved with any effectiveness no matter which government is in power. I am withholding my vote in the next election from either party until proper progressive programs are put in place dealing with literacy and critical thinking. If the only people you talk to is of a particular class or race, then please do just walk on by because you really are not the one I wish to associate with. It is important for black people to remember in particular that the animal they resemble in the 'bush' is not the 'monkey' but the gazelle, the giraffe and the elephant that brings them inteligence, wisdom, strength and a spiritual purpose. You may not get people to appreciate that because they never respected your culture or spirituality to begin with.That is a journey however, you are going to have make for yourself with confidence. I do not wish to be 'ruled' by 'Bible pushing' fundamentalists who have no respect for women or human rights and do not live up to the creed of the philosophy they preach themselves. They own the media it seems and believe they are the only ones entitled to the Bahamas - they mean to keep us intimidated through fear for their own power sake and are some of the most hateful people I have ever met! Yes, we are being exploited by some of these big investors who after they have plundered us fully, just pick up and leave with larger bank accounts without any progress or adding to our Democracy.This is my 'street talk' but I wish to retire from community work so as to develop completely as an artist but we can talk about living in the Sunshine if you like...there is much freedom there..peace and love...foregive this rightious rant, it is my declaration of independence!

No comments: