Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Patriarchal?...




Chadwick
O'keeffe
Kahlo
Gentilesci







I have not missed the fact that many if not all of the artists I have chosen to highlight as my great inspiration came from men. There is reason for this, it is the limitation of my education as much of the canon for the history of Modern art is primarily composed of white males. There are exceptions to this rule such as artists as Freda Kahlo, Barbara Kruger , Georgia O'Keeffe and Helen Chadwick just to mention a small few. Persons and women of color and other ethnicities are often missing from that canon.. However, women have made progressive steps through out the history of art going back to Baroque with Artimesia Gentilesci whose works rivalled that of the great Caravaggio. History is full of them although our Education about these artists is slow to change. Many married their famous counter parts thus taking a back seat to their husbands prominent careers. It was the role 'expected' as women. I have still much to learn on these fronts. I have stated that women have had their identity framed far too often by a male sensibility or are often ignored at a point of their significance. I shall be looking more into this in the near future as it has always been that women have had to re-educate themselves about themselves outside of the 'male gaze' and control of culture. I am no different and will share this journey with you. Although I sicerely believe that it is important not to negate what men have accomplished. Remember I see these images and they are both faminine and masculine energies that transcend into universal symbols - qualities we each have but the balance is missing and must be re-thought of with equality. I too am still learning.... (ps..again I apoligise for any spelling mistakes throughout, I can be quite clumsy when it comes down to that but I am making the effort to do better)...

No comments: