Thursday, December 16, 2010

Pacifism and the Art of loving...

Why am I a pacifist? The reasons are threefold. Firstly, my mother was one and being originally from England she grew up during WWII. I was weaned as a child hearing horror stories of bombs dropping on her home. She also lost a father at age eight to the war as he was in the Army. She grew up poor as a result. Secondly, my reason has more to do with my own personal experiences as a teacher. Twenty years ago, we had just begun to see the violence now emerging within this society. I worked with a group of young kids from across the board who touched my life in a program designed to address teen gang violence and youth at risk. I did witness a young man being shot and killed during this time which set me on this further course on an anti -violence agenda. In Canada, I worked with many refugee children and adults from war torn countries. I have had most of my experiences in community settings. Finally, I am very spiritual and the philosophies I have chosen to follow seek this above all else. As an artist, I see myself as co-creator in this effort with harmony and love. I am merely an 'instrument' in this process. I shall continue on this course that begun years ago. I fail often and have spent many years being far too angry. I hope to change this within myself....peace and love...

No comments: