Friday, December 17, 2010

Music, melody and the creative process...


Painting by M. Baldwin


I began my artistic endeavours years ago as a musician. I played by 'ear' but was a fine guitarist and percussionist drummer. I loved the blues, jazz, folk and composing original songs. My musical tastes were far reaching however I enjoyed many styles from the most popular to the obscure. I am a great lover of Classical music as well but could never play it. I write all this down with regards to my creativity as I have had many influences in different disciplines as an artist and spent years developing them individually at a time. In Canada, I was known more as a musician and percussionist. I have settled now on the visual arts and writing but include many of the other disciplines within it, music being a primary resource. I do use this blog as I have mentioned before as some sort of record of how I work as an artist and the influences that have affected that development. I have thought hard about it and I wish my interpretation of how I create to be there before any other. My work appears simple and is but it is also very complex in its exercution and thought.
Music is my soul and comes rather easy to me, more than any other form of expression, but I was lazy and lacked the discipline required to develop the way I wished to. I have abandoned it completely now as an art form but my paintings and writing is full of it. It is my inspiration and I orchestrate sounds from my imagination. At times, I literally twirl and spin my art paintings passionately to the sounds of the celestials and the rhythms of the earth ( you have to see me paint to understand what I mean.) I dance with it as in a performance with music everywhere in my mind. My poetry, when not having a 'conversation' lately is constructed in the rhythm of 'spoken word'. I have organized more formal poems but music is always there. It is the color of the spectrum and sound. It is rhythm and motion. It is light and darkness and all the shades in between with dissonance and harmony. This is how I see and feel it...

No comments: