Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Major influences...

I have mentioned some of the great influences that has formed me as a creative artists. There have been many other artists but primarily I have framed my spiritual and creative identity from these examinations by them. I have also had my own personal internal and external interests, much of which I have discussed has been covered by many of these Modern and pre-Modern painters. When I studied Art history, Marc Rothko and Paul Klee were lesser known to me and I showed little interests in their works but currently I am learning to appreciate much of their works as reductionist and minimalist painters. I was surprised after doing additonal research for my exhibit ' Religion, Myth and Fantasy', how much I have followed much of the 'roads' and 'path ways' of many of them-Marc Rothko in particular. I have only just started reading up on him in more introspection but his contributions should never be mistaken as less than great. He is a surpurb artist and I was surprised at the coincidence of the conclusions I had made along with him. I had believed this to be my personal journey up until quite recently but discovered that Rothko had made similar strides some eighty years earlier. I hope to learn more about his study on the affects of light and form in space with color with the abscence of archetypes and mythology. Perhaps this is the next step for me but I must work through these images I am seeing first of all. I must learn to crawl before I can walk then run...

No comments: