Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Learning to Love...

I love African and Native American culture as well as European. It is important, if one is born within any of these earth cultures in particular, to make the often painful journey into 'self' discovery - to read, to learn, to dance and sing within it. It means getting angry at times at the injustice continually posed against the individual in a world not designed to embrace it or you with equality. At times, it means having your love rejected in the name of hatred or fear. Not to make this journey is just escape. I am half black and white but did educate myself fully about me as a Black/ mulatto person. I have found that I cannot live with out the European as well, although I have experienced deep prejudices from both. One can be wounded in growth of 'self' and there are cultural and personal injuries from a fractured historical past that need healing and reconciliation. Ultimately, it is empowerment especially when there are others around you denigrating your right to embrace it. To overcome their denial most of all is strength. Nothing and nobody is perfect but simple things and knowledge of 'self' within a post slavery, post Colonial experience, is freedom. Learning to love oneself is a beautiful thing and it shouldn't mean hating another once discovering your spiritual place among the stars and on earth. It is the independent stride toward the autonomous 'self' - that right is yours and yours alone. This is true for anybody from whatever race, background or status you are from as learning to love yourself is a universal right. I have found in my long journey that there was no one individual nor great collective that has helped me discover this other than myself. I have learned much however from many....peace and love to you on that essential journey from whatever walk or background...God truly is love...

No comments: