Friday, December 24, 2010

Celebrating the new...

I feel I have sufficiently paid homage to the things that have been the universal bond to many philosophical understandings that I have followed all my life- Christianity being the central glue to many of them. There have been many influences. I suspect I will always call on them for some sort of spiritual guidance when I feel lost and in need of some direction. They have been my moral anchor whenever I drifted off course and touch stones. This has also been political. I am gay and that is political when that right is denied by others. Some times one has to be that as well. All have served me well. Again, I thank my spiritual guides for their help in this process. Some of these symbols and metaphors are new to me but carry the weight of an ancient past. They were linked with many philosophies and when transcended were saying practically the same thing - some better than others. I used many stories and folk tales from different cultures where many were past down through oral traditions combined with my dreams ( that too is an ancient Bahamian Tradition and in my case an African and English one). It was, in a nut shell, what I planned for my exhibit but now I can take it to another layer. As you can see, I really do have a lot of things going on in my head.
I have feelings now to discover the new and to abandon the old fixed orders. It won't change because the people running these institutions refuse to. It is fear and ignorance! My next step is to embrace newer realities away from any Religion or inflexable traditions. I do respect them however and when ever the spirit calls, will embrace them equally as part of a universal identity. I wish to start fresh and begin to celebrate the new. This means seeing things with fresh eyes as with a child's vision of objects and feelings -that sense of discovery for the first time. It is renewal and a blank canvas where the possiblities are endless.It moves Modern into a contemporary understanding. It is being with and in the moment and not an affectation. Yes, a time for change is needed in my own life. This is the birth of creation eminating from a point of infinity and 'zero'...peace to you and love- happy holidays...

No comments: