Thursday, December 9, 2010

Jungian analytical psychology...


'Carl Jung was a swiss psychologist and was the founder of analytical psychology. He is considered the first modern psychologist to emphasize that 'the human psyche is by nature religious and this should be studied in depth.' He focuses on dream analysis and went into great study of western and eastern philosophies, alchemy, sociology, astrology as well as literature and the arts.
He believed that individuality was essential for the person to become whole. This helped integrate the conscious with the unconscious while still maintaining some sort of autonomy. Many concepts of modern psychology was suggested by Jung such as the archetype(symbol) and the collective unconscious and consciousness. He devised much of his theories while working with schizophrenic patients.'
I myself was diagnosed with bi-polar as I never really understood the creative implications of my disorder - I still have it. It is common for artists to 'channel' images and thoughts in their work relating to the individual and the collective unconscious but I am careful to call it the imagination as I think creatively and from a individual perspective which means everything I do is totally subjective. I have and can get it wrong and go off on my own trip. I have tried to remain focused with this integrating everything including my intellectual opinions and experiences. Also my understandings as an artist and my vast knowledge of the creative process.
I have used Jung's ideas and principles to help my along in this process as he also believes that we are all connected as human beings culturally and individually through our mythologies and dreams. They may reveal themselves in images and symbols which is what I was experiencing and it is how I work as an artist for the most part but not necessarily...peace...

No comments: