Saturday, November 13, 2010

Ezekiel and other stories...

Many of my earlier poems have strong biblical intonations. I am not apologetic for this as this is where the root of much of my spirituality has emanated from. Certainly it is a good book like many others but not when it is used for a tool of oppression. The 'Valley of Dry Bones' is a poem which I wrote after seeing the alienation and decay of some of our urban centers. I had just returned to the Bahamas and was blinded by some of what I saw. This poem was an invocation of upliftment. Ezekiel is a common theme in the black community and traditionally a symbol for the oppressed. It is hard to follow one's own path in creativity as it may not be respected or understood by others particularly in the arts. I am glad that I did and I am leaning there is no wrong way on the path to love. Each should be respected. The Stations of the cross is about suffering just before being released into unconditional love. It is about healing through atonement and forgiveness. It is a beautiful metaphor and one that gives hope. Sadly many I believe create from wounds that have not quite healed but that too is a process that eventually will bring about peace. I struggled for many years. My separation was deep and I hid it in alcohol. I write all this to say that there is life after addiction and one does need a great faith to overcome. I experiment with my writing and am no great technician. My later and really my earlier attempts have been about the flow of consciousness without the lines. Earlier in my writing stage I wrote hard hitting political poems but this was in anger. I believe my path more than art has been about love. It hard to do it sometimes but I'll struggle on through. I prefer now to write love poems and other themes. I love the art of story telling.The symbols of the butterfly, the star and the goat all shone in the light today. They eventually dissipated and there was just light. I think that is what love looks like...peace

No comments: