Sunday, October 24, 2010

Faith in Self...


You know, I am getting tired of talking with young black men about selling drugs in this community from generation to generation. I started this conversation when I was in my early twenties and now that I am in my late forties I wonder if things have changed here at all. It happens a lot down at the Wharf. It was not just two years ago when there was an open drug gang war going on in our community and it appeared that a whole slew of young men lost their lives to the streets, some just barely in their teens. I spoke with many at this time who seemed to lack direction but were afraid of ending up in the morgue so they wanted to give life a second chance. The stories are all so familiar and came down to the same thing of self acceptance, finding one's purpose and learning to love yourself. This time, the young men were predominately from the Haitian community who felt the most marginalized. I speak to many people out there but there are common themes happening with our youth.There is much confusion in our culture that offers very little education for any of this and leaves a people directionless and purposeless. There is far too much exploitation that goes on within it. In spite of this back drop, it does come down to knowing why you are here. As a recovering alcoholic, I often looked down on the drug dealer or addict. I still have little time for them unless they wish to clean themselves up but my drug was just as bad only legal. I have found as with myself that abusers of substances have given up on life and have lost faith in everything including themselves. Of course there are Geo political reasons why there are so many lost souls wondering about but ultimately the responsibility for one's life comes down to one's self. That too is a universal truth no matter who we are. It requires having the courage in being who you were intended to be regardless of the obstacles. Life is far more complicated than what I suggest and things do not always work out the way one plans it but all is a journey of self discovery and that realization brings us closer to the truth. I think my approach has always been to offer love and guidance with some very practical ways of setting a course forward toward this agenda. It does help in knowing what your culture is and what it is all about in order to recognize the touch stones for a point of departure. I am just beginning to learn to take some of my own advice. We as a people are very good at treating the problem but not in recognizing why the symptoms occur. Many feel conflicted as did I from where they are and what they feel a desire to be. All this does require trusting one's self, believing in who you are and seeing yourself within a larger purpose. Having lived in three countries I have observed that the world is a tribal place no matter what race, culture or clan you are from. I have had to transcend this beyond that reality. Learning to discover who you are with love requires the big step in having faith in yourself and this applies to everyone...

No comments: