Sunday, October 31, 2010

The metaphor of Time and space...

I use the metaphor of time and space in my poetry often. For me it is an ideal state on the line of the continuum where all things are possible. It is beginning less and endless- the alpha and amega This idea appears in many religions and philosophies from Christianity to Buddhism. The early Modernist painters such as Marc Rothko, Modrian and other reductionists believed that by removing lines in space it freed the individual spirit to transcend and enter into that state of liberation and gave a deeper sense of connectedness to that creative force. My journey as an artist has predominantly been to try and understand the creative process and what that means in terms of freedom and spirituality- the imagination being the primary conduit. For the exhibit that I am planning about 'Religion, Myth and Fantasy', I believe there have been certain universal 'truths' revealed through stories and myths- in dream interpretations. I have begun research from many cultures relating to these symbols reading children s folk tales, creation myths from many cultures, ancient Indian stories to Greek mythology. I have also as far as I can tried to understand scientific understandings of the story of creation based on the laws of physics. My approach has been to strip these symbols and metaphors to its basic essence by deconstructing the narrative and story by all taking things back to the origins of creativity before time into the annals ( records) of creation and the origins of life before the first story- I call it zero. It is the point of infinity. I have taken this approach a step further by attempting to deconstruct my cultural and personal narrative. It was a point of healing for me. I do not wish to throw the baby out with the bath water as we do all need to socially organize in some sort of order but it is important to realize that we can re-create our own personal narratives and frame our identities to form a destiny with the help of a creator that I believe in. I suspect I shall have to put the play and the exhibit on the back burner temporarily until our economy picks up but I have been able to apply much of these philosophical ideas in my personal journey toward self realization and love. It is important to realize I think that we can be the co- creative force of time and space as that is the true origins of our story with light, love and energy.Of course I present the ideal state based on love but I think the practicalities lies between the reality of living one's life and the metaphor. The rest is a personal and individual journey in search of that 'truth'...That belongs entirely to you and your co-creator. I have been around long enough to understand that not everybody will love regardless or race, culture or Nationality. In that case, I just have agreed that we are on different paths and which of the parallel universes one wishes to create and live within...These are just thoughts, I could be wrong...The journey continues...peace and love!

No comments: