Sunday, October 17, 2010

Earth and the Heavens...


I have tried as an artist, whose journey started off fishing and playing the drum some years ago, to find a greater truth in my creative expression stumbling most of the way. This search has included music, movement, writing and a visual arts while trying to explore a maze of realities through individual and personal growth. Creativity has become an embodiment and a spiritual metaphor for life itself. I hope I have transcended this original cultural understanding to include a metaphysical existence, embracing my larger humanity in relation to the Universe. .
The original spiritual symbol I used of the Double Mobius Star- a six sided geometric hexagram, commonly known as the shield of of David,
means "as above, so below." It represents the polarity of opposites; fire/water, masculine/feminine, heaven and earth- the Sun and the Moon. It is a symbol of perfect peace and balance of the higher and lower selves.
My initial search for acquiring this knowledge began with my studies of earth cultures- predominantly African and Native American with some influences of Buddhism, Christianity and the theories of the Western metaphysicians. It is still what I use to communicate art by relaying some basic universal truths while differentiating a personal journey which has been influenced by a specific cultural environment. I rely on intuition juxtaposed with a rationalization which I express in a modern semi- abstract/ Folk tradition. This is also the philosophy of my writing although I have a tendency to be influenced by classical and modern writers.
This for me, however, is more than art. It is about finding a spiritual path toward happiness in relation to God that has its origins in creation from choas to order( cosmos) and vice versa - the centre being love.. Although I started off as a traditional Drummer, it is important I believe to learn to march to the beat of one's own Drum to find that individual rhythm inside. It goes beyond country but finds one a greater place in the world....and with my faith, on earth as it is in the heavens...

No comments: