Monday, July 19, 2010

Fighting Prejudice...

It is hard to name the true nature of prejudice within this society as there are so many. I know as a mulatto here my mother being white and English and my father Black Bahamian I have had to hide many pain of things said about me and her over the years merely because of our ethnical make up in a predominantly black community. As a woman of mixed heritages I had my struggles with identity often being offended by presumptions made about me without a 'voice' to speak back. Discriminated and often excluded by many black woman in particular, I have remained 'voiceless' within this society because our voice does not matter and that seeming a natural order to most. This sadly is continually exploited by the politicians here both men and women for political gain and power often manifesting itself in collective ideologies which are forced onto others without the respect of diversity . I have gone along with what was being said simply to be included or for the most part have often chosen to live outside of this community away from such prejudices. It has been a blessing in disguise as I have learned to eventually stand strong amidst many personal battles which I feel those that exploit this have not done with any true empowerment nor intellectual growth. All of this is tied up in the most recent revelations I have made about my orientation because it is about not being afraid within the back drop of all this intimidation and fear of how we are forced to socially organize here...so for women of all back grounds I say be strong and have the courage to claim your 'voice' irrespective of those who try to deny it based on their bigotries and prejudices. They have no right to deny anyone and the ideology of that back should be culturally,racially and politically broken...I suspect I too am being an ideologue imagining a better day where race, class or orientation can collectively come together in the Bahamas for a new and better way foreword. I have hopes with a younger generation who do not carry such a heavy load of the past....

No comments: