Friday, July 23, 2010

Breaking with the past....

It is important to emphasize why it is necessary for me to break with the past. I am encouraged by much of what I see developing on the front of a newer generation. It is giving breath to diversity both intellectually,culturally and racially in the Bahamas. I come from a heritage that is deeply embedded in the past. This served us well over many generations but today with a new educated class things and times have changed. Perhaps I am just catching up with this change but I am truly hopeful by people I encounter everyday. Much of the violence I see emerging here I believe is an unfortunate reaction to this change from old to new but it is necessary to embrace it for our overall development and growth. I really do believe it has been my blessing not to have lived in the Bahamas for all these years as I am often confused by our divisions having to live among people of many diversities and perspectives. It is important to embrace the civil rights and liberties that comes with the many. I am not afraid to admit that as a Black people we have been slow to acknowledge on any real advancement on these fronts and that has been world wide and in all of our countries particularly were we hold that majority of interests. The Bahamas is a Nation not a culture which holds many peoples from many walks. In claiming my true 'self' I now see myself among the many and not just the one. With this revelation I have found it necessary to break with my Traditions which now almost hangs like an albatross around my neck. I see no need to continue to fight these unnecessary wars of division when there are definitely people who wish to break those cycles of the past...I think I shall follow their example....

No comments: