Saturday, March 19, 2011

Narcissus, Self and other stories...

There is a story from Greek Mythology of Narcissus who was a hunter known for his incredible beauty. He was led to a pool where he fell in love with his own reflection. Unable to leave it, he died there. Sometimes as an artist I feel I have fallen into the traps of that moral. It happens a lot with artists. We are so often more in love with our selves than anything else. One can get so involved in the self that it leaves one oblivious to the things beyond it and others around one. It is important to go further than just yourself to reach a higher understanding of ones existence. 'I am' and 'To be' are essential to an understanding of purpose and should never be forgotten but one must include a wider universe which embodies many other realities. Certainly, I believe I have attempted to see some of these other possibilities. It is here where one may touch another within that universal understanding giving greater purpose. I believe this is where true happiness and fulfillment lies. Years ago I remember working with a young man. It was in a youth Arts program I was running and as things happen here the divisions between the haves and the have nots were wide. He was not a poor youth but thought himself to be less than others who had more. He looked at me and threw his old beaten up brass trumpet down on the ground. 'I do not have the money to buy a new one', he said.'Those rich people are the only ones to get ahead.' I looked at him and shook my head. It amazed me that he had missed the most simplest point of his progress in self understanding. I picked up his old trumpet and handed it to him saying 'You are the instrument not the trumpet'. He was taken aback as the thought never occurred to him that he was the most important thing not the material he was using. I think this is a simple message that has gotten lost in our day of materialism where we are sold on false dreams away from our true potential as human beings. I am a social democrat but even in a pure capitalist system it is important to understand that ones greatest asset are people not the material things that surround one. The other is a false sentiment of self. It is important to educate ourselves in that reality as there is far too much exploitation that happens with regards to the individual. It seems we are taught the wrong things regarding where true progress lies. Our youth have been marketed and commercialized to such and extent that it appears they really do not know in which direction to go and the distinction between a true understanding of self and a false dream they are sold with regards to it. Personally, I get a get a simple satisfaction from just friends and family. Perhaps I am getting old now and this helps me to let go of some of those surface vanities and understandings. Primarily I believe life is about finding happiness. That may come from the subtlest things around one but brings joy to the spirit. I must now take a brief hiatus as my computer has malfunctioned.I think this is a good time to pick up a book to read during this time which I have not done for a while... so for now....peace, love and happiness....

No comments: