Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Guide to being Gay...

I don't believe that there is a specific guide to being Gay. I strongly believe that each journey is unique as we all come from so many different backgrounds. I do emphasize this because when I began to realize my orientation some years ago, my immediate instinct was to meet as many gay people as possible searching for some definitive answer to what that was. I was thrusted into a world of books, intellectuals, meetings, political activism, Feminists ect...many are still my friends today but I could not help feeling that none of this applied to me and often felt the outsider from what was being said. Finally, I had to return to who I was with a sincere attempt to understand the things that had molded me as this is where many of my fears were held. Needless to say, I went around for many years confused not knowing what being gay was all about because there were so many others trying to decide this for me. I do wish to talk about this because this is also about self realization and trusting one's own 'voice'. I had black women insist that I should stick to my own culture, angry feminists hating men... the list could go on and on. This has also contributed, in all honesty, to some of the struggles I have felt in coming to terms with being Gay. The closest I can sum up what that means to me is from ~Euripides
'There is just one life for each of us: our own. ' -may it be a wonderful journey in the discovery of what that means to you...

No comments: