Sunday, May 29, 2011

Poetry and art....

It is risky writing poetry as it reveals so much about the individual and leaves one exposed and vulnerable-it is one's truth. I have many themes and repeated images in my writing. I ask the great looming cosmic questions of who am I and why I am I here, who or what is God. My philosophy is pantheistic, i.e, a doctrine that equates God with the forces of the laws of the Universe. I believe in the infinite. This is interspersed with human experiences and lack of understanding about it all. Light and dark are very important shades as well as a spectrum of colors revealing life and emotions, moods and feelings. I use it to paint the sky indicating a wider scope of vision beyond our world and human existence - of life and death. Music is essential as I struggle to hear the sounds of the music of the sphere's. I listen to it when I write always as a backdrop to mood and sentiment. The sense of the artist in alienation is repeated throughout my poems which is a common theme with writers down through the ages. Love is a big theme or my lack of it as I see it as the center of all creation. I strive for its allusive touch with romantic yearnings - mirror's cracking, masks or glass breaking is about destroying the illusion or the search for a greater hidden truth behind a facade. It is getting to the core of truth which is just beyond reach. Water or streams flowing endlessly is a metaphor for eternity with infinite time and space interwoven. I use as common symbols of flowers, the moon and the Sun- the highest symbols reflecting human ideals. It reveals feminine and masculine energy taking flight with the imagination. There are many other repeated images as a striving toward understanding a greater truth hidden behind my illusion. It is important to be honest with oneself to strip that to its core. I present the creative ideal in a search to return to its center. I find redemption in loss but art is what we do with life to survive it. To place something in a 'bowl' means there is a larger space outside of it which cannot be held as it is too vast but provides that freedom to overcome. It is Agape (unconditional love), that which goes beyond our experiences and control but holds and embodies us instead. Dylan Thomas, the famous twentieth century Welsh poet, exclaimed that one should write poems about the 'kitchen sink'. It exemplifies how extraordinary ordinary things can become with the divine act of creation. I reserve my right to change at any time my feelings and views regarding all of what I have said in order to develop and grow as an artist..peace...

No comments: