Wednesday, August 4, 2010

United...


I am not an activist merely an artist but I now stand united with my lesbian and gay brothers and sisters in the Bahamas but also world wide. It is not easy reaching this understanding about oneself. My journey has been one marred with confusion and pain. Part of the pain has been the conflict I encountered just trying to understand what it was all about. I now know that there is not just one way and Gay people are as diverse as the rainbow.I suspect it is a process one has to learn for oneself.In my day there was little affirmation and very little discussion about the subject except in it being unnatural and evil. I know both of these to be untrue.There is now a younger and more courageous generation who have also helped me understand that you don't need to ask permission in being your self. It is silly but at age 47yrs I often wonder if I have reached this conclusion far too late in my life. I think it is important however to share this struggle with others as I know how difficult it could be and how lonely it can become. I shared your silence and understood the pain. I hope the breaking of my silence can bring you courage to be, perhaps not as public as I have declared but to yourself. Personally, I have just had enough of these bigots!

No comments: