Wednesday, July 27, 2011

The writing experience...

I was just sitting down thinking how my poetry and writing have developed in particular. I started off wishing to write of grand things that dealt with the timeline of our human existence. I still wish to, which embodies a more classical sensibility. I began to realize however that I wanted to say things that were more immediate to what I was thinking. This required me often just stating what it is I was going through. Perhaps I have lost something in my execution but believe I have gained more with my honesty. I am discovering 'voice' and a more personal view of my feelings and expression thus fostering a greater sense of freedom and individuality. It is more exiting to write from that place of truth. It does risk being more indulgent but I feel it is important to remain true to one's experiences. I have gone from being very cultural and political to wishing to paint the landscape of my emotions, moving farther into the human condition. I prefer at this moment to write love poems of which there is a long history by great writers - I am in love. It is a bit old fashioned but I am a hopeless romantic. All art is about communication and the more honest one is touches that truth in others. That is what I believe art is supposed to be about. Peace and love to you on this journey to truth...

No comments: